This core provides expert mass spectrometry services and consultation for the University of Utah and Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) research communities, and operates as a fee-for-service resource. Off-campus samples from academic institutions or private companies are accepted, as well. While the primary emphasis of the core is geared toward supporting proteomics research, the facility continues to provide basic MS support for a broad range of research and sample types, such as polymers, natural products, small synthetic molecules, and large intact proteins and nucleic acids. Our mission is to provide the highest quality mass spectrometry analyses for protein and other biomolecule investigations.
The facility is equipped with several high-performace mass spectrometers, including a state-of-the-art FTMS instrument (LTQ-FT; ThermoElectron), with nano-LC and nano-ESI ionization. Especially well-suited for proteomics applications, the FTMS instrument provides high sensitivity (sub-femtomole), high resolution (>500,000), and high mass accuracy (<2ppm), affording greater sequence information and high-confidence protein identifications. The FTMS is well equipped for mapping protein modifications, with CID, IRMPD, and ECD fragmentation techniques available. LC/MS/MS instruments in the lab are equipped with nano-LC, for ultimate sensitivity and chromatographic performance. Our new Maldi/ToF/ToF mass spectrometer provides high sensitivity and resolution and MS/MS capability, as well as state-of-the-art tissue-imaging by mass spectrometry.
A range of proteomics services are available, for example:
- protein ID from in-gel or solution, using LC/MS/MS, FTMS, or Maldi/ToF
- protein ID from complex cell isolatespost-translational modifications (PTMs such as phosphorylation, GIcNAc, acetylation)
- in-house Mascot database searching (public or custom DBs)ESI/MS for intact protein MW and identification of truncation sites
- Tissue-Imaging, showing high resolution location and relative concentration of specific molecules within tissue sections
* This is a designated Huntsman Cancer Institute CCSG Shared Resource
To make a reservation to use our equipment or services, please go to resource.cores.utah.edu.